Saturday, February 16, 2013

creamy {creamless} tomato basil soup

creamy tomato basil soup
<<creamless>>
I have had a nasty little cold this weekend and I don't know about you, but my taste buds get a bit shy (can't taste hardly anything) and picky when the sickness comes. Only a few things sounded good to me and one of them was a good creamy tomato basil soup. Now I can't actually have cream (upsets my tummy) so I improvised with some canned coconut milk. I doubt anyone would be able to tell a difference in the taste! Go ahead and try to enjoy the rest of winter with a good bowl of homemade soup... and a perfectly Grilled Avocado-Cheese...

Makes about 8 cups of soup
Ingredients:
1-2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, with juices {I used a quart of my mother's home-bottled tomatoes}
1 can (14.5 oz) roasted tomatoes, with juices {my fave: Muir Glen's Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes}
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon dried basil (or 1/3 cup fresh chopped)
1 can (13.5 oz) lite coconut milk {my fave: A Taste of Thai Lite Coconut Milk}
1 teaspoon sugar or 1 packet Stevia in the Raw
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated parmesan cheese, for serving

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil in large pot or dutch oven (I used my 5-quart Le Creuset dutch oven) over medium heat and saute until translucent, then add garlic and saute for a few more seconds.
2. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, and basil. Let simmer over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
3. When done simmering remove bay leaf, then stir in coconut milk, sugar (or stevia), 1 teaspoon salt, and a few turns from fresh pepper grinder.
4.. Blend in blender (I used my Vitamix) or use hand immersion blender to blend until smooth. *CAREFUL: IT IS HOT!
5. Add more salt and pepper if needed and serve with cheese or homemade croutons!
FYI- If you would like to go out and buy a the best bowl of tomato soup, the Roasted Tomato Basil Soup from Corner Bakery Cafe is my absolute FAVORITE and although I have attempted making a copycat recipe of this soup at home, I didn't have all the fresh tomatoes for it. Or the motivation to get in the car and drive to draper (the closest location to my house).

No comments:

Post a Comment